[rt-users] How to get RT to use Reply-To for returned emails

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Mon Sep 8 20:07:43 EDT 2008

On Sep 8, 2008, at 2:27 PM, John BORIS wrote:

> In my setup my users are sending emails to RT from a machine where
> their
> email address isn't valid. It is hard to explain. The corporate email
> address for my users is not the same as their login and email
> address on
> the server where the email is originating. We use Mutt as the client.
> The emails are sent from inside a program the user is running.
> It is like this
> User's login to server: joed
> email address on that server: joed at localserver.edu
> Corporate email is joed at corporateemail.org
> REPLY-TO joed at corporateemail.org
>
> The user sends the email to RT from the application on the server.
> Mutt
> sends the email to RT and RT takes it and processes it. It correctly
> adds the ticket to the proper Queue but it then sends the reply back
> the From address not the REPLY-TO address. This reply is then
> refused by
> the local server.

John,

I _think_ the right place to be fixing this is in the MTA on your
localserver.
You might want to be looking for a 'masquerade' setting.

Failing that, you might want to get mutt to write out a different
'From' header.

I do that using the following code in my .muttrc:

my_hdr From: Jesse Vincent <jesse at bestpractical.com>

> Is there a way to have RT use the REPLY-TO field for replies instead
> of
> the From field? Or is the REPLY-TO field not set in all email clients?

As I read RT's code, we're already preferring the Reply-To over the
from, actually.

-jesse