[rt-users] Can't reinstall: CORE missing dependencies: File::ShareDir...MISSING

Chris Nelson cnelson at delivra.com
Wed Sep 10 08:17:05 EDT 2008

I upgraded my version of Ubuntu server to 8.0.4 because I was having some
trouble after upgrading to RT 3.8.1. I assumed that the problems had
something to do with my apache configuration or the fact that I was running
out of date software.

So, I attempted an upgrade of Ubuntu. I'm a Linux newbie. After the upgrade,
I couldn't get Apache to start at all. I found that if I commented out the
line about RT (the include in the Apache config) Apache started fine and all
other sites were working great.

So, I decided I would reinstall RT. I removed my /opt/rt3.8/ directory and
went all the way back to the install steps. I ran the tar command to get the
file to /tmp/. I then cd to /tmp/rt3-8-1/ and run 'sudo ./configure
--prefix=/opt/rt3.8/ --enable-gd'. Then I run 'sudo make testdeps'. It tells
me 'File::ShareDir...MISSING'. So, I run 'sudo make fixdeps' and it tells me
all dependencies found. Then I could get into an endless loop - because
testdeps still says it's missing.

I figured I would go ahead and just run 'sudo make install' but it bombs
with the same error as above: CORE missing dependencies:
File::ShareDir...MISSING. It's worth mentioning that I looked and the
directory /opt/rt3.8/ is not being created (I don't know if that matters or
not).

Anyway, I've taken an annoyance and managed to make a critical error out of
it - however, I've been wanting to understand Linux and RT better - so maybe
this is a blessing in disguise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris