[rt-users] Fresh Install of rt3.8.1 on Ubuntu 8.04 missing required components on Configure step

Chris Nelson cnelson at delivra.com
Thu Sep 11 12:22:38 EDT 2008

I have given up salvaging my upgrade. I will keep the database only (which -
fortunately, still has my 1000+ tickets in it).

I'm a linux newbie. The RT community's help has been priceless.

Unfortunately, I'm still at a loss a bit. I've gone step by step through the
readme doc. I installed a fresh, pristine LAMP ubuntu server. I have correct
versions of perl, apache2, and mysql. I created a pw for the root mysql
user.

I untarred the gz file.
I ran *sudo ./configure --prefix=/opt/rt3.8 --with-db-database=tickets
--enable-gd --enable-graphviz*
Here is the output:
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for chosen layout... relative
checking if user www exists... not found
checking if user www-data exists... found
checking if group www exists... not found
checking if group www-data exists... found
checking if group rt3 exists... not found
checking if group rt exists... not found
checking if group www-data exists... found
checking if database name is valid... yes
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.

I know this is about my 15th total newbie post - but I have to get my
tickets db back up and running soon before my sanity expires - and I don't
think I can afford the support incident fee (besides, I really need to
understand what's happening here).

Thanks so much for contributing so much time everyone.
-Chris