[rt-users] A serial custom field... sort of

Ernesto Hernandez-Novich emhnemhn at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 10:14:57 EDT 2008

I've been requested something quite odd: a custom field that behaves
like a SERIAL column on a database. The specific request was "a custom
field that has no duplicates and it's _always_ kept in sequence".

Initially I suggested using the ticket number instead, but the user
states that according to their "process" the numbering must be gapless.
They don't mind, and would even appreciate, if the number gets generated
automatically. I explained the fact that if there were two users
creating a new ticket, the numbering would depend on "who hits submit
first" and they're fine with that.

Any suggestions on how to approach this?
--
Ernesto Hernández-Novich - Linux 2.6.18 i686 - Unix: Live free or die!
Geek by nature, Linux by choice, Debian of course.