[rt-users] Difference between Parent/Child and Depends on/Depended on by?

Tue Sep 23 07:11:08 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 19:07, Kenneth Crocker <KFCrocker at lbl.gov> wrote:

>        We use the Parent/Child and DependsOn relationships a great deal and
> this is how we do it. Whenever we have a ticket that in and of itself causes
> other work to be done within the SAME support group for the same queue, we
> make those tickets "Children" tickets of the main/original request ticket.
[...]
> This allows us to create spreadsheet that becomes a project management
> report.

Thanks for taking the time to explain your process. It seems to me that you
are mainly using parent/child vs depends for management purposes, i.e. to
show which business unit did what.
You do this at the loss of automatic sanity checking (i.e. forcing the large
ticket to stay open until all subtickets have been closed), but from how you
write, I assume it's working nicely, for you.

I still can't see the advantage in this scheme (for example, you could use
depends and another CF that holds the name of the department), but as
I said, I may simply think about this the wrong way and/or just work
differently.

Again, thanks for your mail,
Richard