[rt-users] can't change a user's email address

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Mon Sep 29 10:34:37 EDT 2008

On Sep 29, 2008, at 9:29 AM, Gary Wilson Jr. wrote:

> Gary Wilson Jr. wrote:
>> In the user configuration, I'm trying to update a user's email
>> address
>> that has a typo.  I correct the email address and click 'Save
>> Changes',
>> but the email address does not update.  I do, however, get
>> presented a
>> 'Results' box that reads:
>>
>> User sobrien: 0 hours
>>
>> When I try adding an email address to a user that has no defined
>> email
>> address already, I get the same error.
>>
>> Anyone know what's going on here?  I've tried changing a few other
>> fields (Real Name, Nickname, etc.) and those update fine.
>>
>> I'm using RT 3.6.1.

This error message got better in later versions of RT

You most likely already have an unprivileged user with
the "correct" email address and RT won't let you have
two users with the same email address.  You can search
for that user and blank out the email address and then come
back and fix this user's email

-kevin