[rt-users] RT3 tuning - web interface seems slow

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Tue Apr 7 13:33:18 EDT 2009

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Jerrad Pierce wrote:

> Have you enabled pipelining in Firefox?

I had not previously heard of it. I just tried; it makes no difference to
the speed of the RT3 page

> Also, while there are security implications, if running over SSL
> allowing the caching of SSL content can really help performance
> (stop refetching CSS & JS for every page).

I just tried turning this on. Again, it makes no difference to the speed,
but I can see that some of the javascript files are being cached; at
least, they are not being asked for every time.

The main ticket pages are served with Pragma:nocache and
Cache-control:no-cache. Also Connection:close which I believe thwarts
pipelining. (according to the "live HTTP headers" plugin)

(for the benefit of others, these tweaks are under the
pseudo-location "about:config" in Firefox3, after a dire warning about
"are you sure you know what you are doing?")

   ---
Chaim Rieger asks "anything in Apache logs?"
Nothing to my (rt3) untrained eye.
I see my ticket view request getting answered e.g.
GET /Ticket/Display.html?id=2085 HTTP/1.1" 200 75857

In the error logs, I see some errors earlier in the day, not associated
with my simple requests, e.g.
FastCGI: server "/opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi" stderr: \teval {...}
called at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/HTML/Mason/Request.pm line 467

I had not seen these prior to adding some tuning to
/etc/httpd/conf.d/rt3.conf, viz.
   PerlSetVar MasonStaticSource true
   PerlSetVar MasonBufferPreallocateSize 4096
   PerlSetVar MasonPreloads '/Elements/*'

the original contents of rt3.conf are
   Alias /rt3 "/usr/share/rt3/html"
   PerlRequire /usr/sbin/webmux.pl
   <Directory "/usr/share/rt3/html">
     AllowOverride All
     Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
     RewriteEngine On
     RedirectMatch permanent (.*)/$ $1/index.html
     AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
     SetHandler perl-script
     PerlHandler RT::Mason
   </Directory>

I did not do the install myself, but I believe everything is correct. RT3
is working, I just think it's slow.

What response time are others seeing on the Web interface ?

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)