[rt-users] Modifying SimpleSearch in RT 3.8.2

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Tue Apr 7 14:05:34 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 01:55:19PM -0400, Jerrad Pierce wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 13:43, Donovan Young
> <dyoung-rtusers at techsafari.com> wrote:
> > We've recently upgraded to 3.8.2 from 3.6.3 and originally the
> > SimpleSearch feature would search all tickets (active and inactive)
>
> Please see the list archives.
>
> It really is best to search active tickets only, but you probably want
> to add one of
> the patches to allow you to modify a search to target
> active/inactive/any tickets.
>
> --
> Cambridge Energy Alliance: Save money. Save the planet.

I will second the comment about searching active tickets only. In particular
the fulltext:word option will have a (ahem) dramatic affect on the I/O load
of your database if you are not using a system that supports full-text
indexing. Limited to active tickets might me manageable, but all tickets is
a problem that gets worse and worse as new tickets continue to be added.
Just how many sequential scans of your database can your backend support? :)
Currently, Oracle and PostgreSQL support full-text indexing with RT.

My two cents.
Ken