[rt-users] CanonicalizeEmailAddress question

John Arends jarends at illinois.edu
Tue Apr 7 16:12:04 EDT 2009

We're using the CanonicalizeEmailAddress config options to deal with
making sure username at somemachine.server.edu is the same as
username at server.edu. It works great, especially because nobody was ever
supposed to create an email account as something at somemachine.server.edu
and not create an equivalent one as something at server.edu.

Of course now someone in another unit has done that, and there is no
matching something at server.edu account. This goes against our own best
practices, but there is nothing I can do about it right now. As a
result, RT can not email something at somemachine.server.edu because RT
keeps forcing the address to be something at server.edu which does not exist.

I tried manually changing the account for that user to use the real
address, but CanonicalizeEmailAddress keeps kicking in and changing it.

Any suggestions on how to work around it for this one email address? I
wonder if I was to manually change the address in the database if that
would help. I just do not want to mess with the database by hand...