[rt-users] RT3 tuning - web interface seems slow

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Tue Apr 7 16:48:20 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 01:44:45PM -0700, Andrew Daviel wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Jesse Vincent wrote:
>
> >I'd expect to see Apache::DBI.  That's a small bit of a perf hit right
> >there.
>
> rt-test-dependencies says that it's present, as does the cpan CLI if
> asked to install "Apache::DBI".
> I see Apache::Session::Store::DBI v1.02; in the config
> $ rt-test-dependencies -v
>  DBI >= 1.37...found

You need to explicitly configure it in your apache config if you're
using mod_perl

> >You'll want to carefully doublecheck database indexes.  Also, have your
> >DBAs been maintaining the RT database? Have statistics been recomputed
> >lately?
>
> I believe all install and upgrade recipes were followed properly. Though
> we currently have a (presumably) unrelated problem with image attachments
> getting corrupted (change to UTF-8 ??).

If you're coming from 3.0, you'll want to actually compare your database
schema with the current default as described in schema.Oracle.

> We have a relatively small staff with no fulltime DBA. I am not sure what
> maintenance is recommended; I recently ran "optimize table sessions"
> recommended by the tuner which made no difference.

You need to do _all_ tables. Not just sessions.  Out of curiosity, how
many tickets and transactions do you have in your RT database.

> I do not believe any statistics were computed; where is this documented ?
> I found RT3BatchStats in the wiki which fails halfway with "Unknown
> column 'Transactions.Ticket'"
>
> Per my original post, raw database queries seem to run quite fast. Unless
> I am missing some complex query which the Web interface is making.

The web interface does a _lot_ of complex queries. Testing one simple
query isn't likely to give you any useful answer.

The performance numbers you've quoted for your RT instance seem fairly
out of whack, but I don't know which problem might be causing them.