[rt-users] How to use smtp on other server

Tom Lahti toml at bitstatement.net
Wed Apr 8 12:57:48 EDT 2009

nast linux wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I already had smtp server (lotus notes on windows server 2003), I want to
> use the smtp for RT server.
> I will not install smtp service on RT server.

In RT_SiteConfig.pm:

Set($MailCommand, 'smtp');
Set($SMTPServer, '<notes server name>');

> http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/InstallMailgateOnly that should be
> installed mailgateonly, is that right?
> Is it possible to install mailgateonly on windows system, where I can
> download mailgateonly for windows system?

Mailgate is for incoming mail to RT, not outgoing mail from RT.  You can
install it on your Windows system so long as the Windows system has perl
installed with all the required modules for rt-mailgate, and your Notes
server can pipe email contents to a command.

Installation steps would be something like:

1. Install perl on Windows machine.
1a. Install perl modules Getopt::Long, LWP::UserAgent,
HTTP::Request::Common, Pod::Usage, HTML::TreeBuilder, HTML::FormatText.
2. copy rt-mailgate from /opt/rt3/bin to your Windows server.
3. Configure Notes to take email sent to a queue address and pipe the email
contents into the command 'rt-mailgate --queue "<queue_name>" --action
correspond --url "http://<rt_server/"', ensuring the command environment is
sufficient for perl to find its modules.

--
   Tom Lahti

   (425)251-0833 x 117
   http://www.bitstatement.net/