[rt-users] Further iCal/RSS experimenting/problems & some success

Jerrad Pierce jpierce at cambridgeenergyalliance.org
Wed Apr 8 20:14:21 EDT 2009

While trying to debug another feed for Google Calendar,
I discovered that some iCal parsers are stricter than others.
Technically, every entry in iCal is supposed to be on its own
line, although lax parsers will fold lines as necessary.
Google Calendar, and probably others won't.

It seems the iCal emitted by RT (probably through the
Text::vFile dependency, but I've not tracked it down), is
inserting bogus newlines into the stream & splitting desc:
  BEGIN:VCALENDAR
  CALSCALE:gregorian
  METHOD:publish
  PRODID:-//CEA//
  VERSION:2.0
  X-WR-CALDESC;VALUE=TEXT:Due dates for RT tickets: Queue = 'SPAM' AND Status
    = 'new'
  X-WR-CALNAME;VALUE=TEXT:RT due dates
  END:VCALENDAR

Instead of:
  BEGIN:VCALENDAR
  CALSCALE:gregorian
  METHOD:publish
  PRODID:-//CEA//
  VERSION:2.0
  X-WR-CALDESC;VALUE=TEXT:Due dates for RT tickets: Queue = 'SPAM' AND
Status  = 'new'
  X-WR-CALNAME;VALUE=TEXT:RT due dates
  END:VCALENDAR

Even an empty stream from RT such as that above does not
check out in an online iCal validator.

There may be other issues as well...
  http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Calendar/thread?tid=5a31bba3997587ce
--
Cambridge Energy Alliance: Save money. Save the planet.