[rt-users] Hanging Login Page (ModPerl2, HTTPD, Oracle, RHEL5)

Joop JoopvandeWege at mococo.nl
Thu Apr 9 02:20:31 EDT 2009

Charles Kugelman wrote:
> Thanks for your response Jesse.
>
> The answer that I received from the guy who manages the VM is as
> follows:
>
> "Snapshots are created for the backup process but they are removed
> immediately after it is finished"
>
> I've confirmed that the issue is reproducible by simply letting RT sit
> for a couple of hours, untouched (no connections to the front end).
>
> We tried lowering the memory to 768MB and the issue is still present; so
> we bumped it back to 2GB.
>
> Any other ideas? Should we be entertaining the idea of moving this off
> of a VM?

What happens to a copy of that VM that doesn't have snapshots taken at all?
Just to rule out that taking snapshots and deleting them is the same as
no snapshots at all.
(I would go for a totally new VM but thats my own paranoia ;-) )

One other thing which isn't applicable to your setup if I'm right is
that with VMware Server you can set a couple of options that in our case
sped up things enormously.
Lets look what I set ....

sched.mem.pshare.enable = "FALSE"
mainMem.useNamedFile = "FALSE"
MemTrimRate = "0"

I think the last two are the real ones but don't know if there is
anything like it with ESX.

Regards,

Joop