[rt-users] passing values on ticket create

Tom Lahti toml at bitstatement.net
Mon Apr 13 13:44:53 EDT 2009

prescott at wcoil.com wrote:
> I would like to know if there is a way to pass a custom field value on
> ticket create.
> We have a internal billing system and one of the buttons is for a new
> ticket.
> I want to pass the customers account number as a custom field value to the
> create screen in RT.
> What is the best way to accomplish this...

Use the REST interface rather than POSTing to the web interface.  That's
what its for (and you can easily set custom fields that way).

The web interface may change with an upgrade, breaking your code; the REST
interface will not.

See http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/REST

There are REST client convenience libraries for perl (RT::Client::REST on
CPAN) and ruby (rt-client gem on rubyforge), or you can roll your own
directly to the REST interface fairly easily.

--
   Tom Lahti

   (425)251-0833 x 117
   http://www.bitstatement.net/