[rt-users] Upgrade RT

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 09:45:03 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Tim Cutts <tjrc at sanger.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 14 Apr 2009, at 3:09 pm, Asif Iqbal wrote:
>
>  On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:37 PM, Tim Cutts <tjrc at sanger.ac.uk> wrote:
>>

>>> On 18 Nov 2008, at 3:27 pm, Asif Iqbal wrote:
>>>
>>> What switches did you use to dump the mysql? I see few gotcha's about

>>> I haven't tested the attachments thoroughly yet, so I don't know whether
>>> it
>>> worked.  I just used one of our regular backup dumps, which isn't
>>> massively
>>> complicated.  Our RT instance is replicated, and we back up off the slave
>>> using:
>>>
>>> mysqldump --defaults-extra-file=/mysql/data_3307/slave.cnf
>>> --single-transaction --flush-logs --master-data=2 --all-databases -q |
>>> gzip

>> How do I do the mysqldump w/o locking ?
>>

> You can't.  Not if you want a guaranteed consistent backup, anyway.

Actually the --master-data and --single-transaction make sure the tables are
not locked

"The --master-data<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/mysqldump.html#option_mysqldump_master-data>option
automatically turns off
--lock-tables<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/mysqldump.html#option_mysqldump_lock-tables>.
It also turns on
--lock-all-tables<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/mysqldump.html#option_mysqldump_lock-all-tables>,
unless --single-transaction<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/mysqldump.html#option_mysqldump_single-transaction>also
is specified
"

Plus it took me less than 14 mins to dump about 8G data

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu