[rt-users] Printing tickets

Tom Lahti toml at bitstatement.net
Wed Apr 22 20:22:21 EDT 2009

> We use RT extensively in our organization, and we have one department
> (facilities) who prints out the tickets and hands them to the workers
> for them to physically go out and perform the requests.  The problem
> with this is that currently printing the tickets print the blue border
> and generally use much more paper and ink than is necessary.  Maybe
> this is a feature request or maybe there is a user contribution I'm

Printer driver setting to print in black & white instead of color will save
the ink.  Printer driver setting to duplex could save paper.  Many printers
have a "multiple page per sheet" driver setting as well.  A low tech
solution, but a quickly implemented one too.

For a plainer, terser rendering, if it were me, I would use the REST
interface and build my own separate service that takes a login and ticket ID
as input and spits out the ticket in a terse format directly to a printer,
so I can control every aspect of it.  Building it into the existing web
interface wouldn't be terribly future proof -- you'd have to revisit it
every time you upgrade RT.

I'm a big fan of keeping customizations _completely_ separate from the app
where possible, so I can upgrade on a whim without fear of horking my custom
stuff.

--
   Tom Lahti

   (425)251-0833 x 117