[rt-users] Upgrade RT

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 11:19:18 EDT 2009

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 6:33 AM, Tim Cutts <tjrc at sanger.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 17 Nov 2008, at 10:34 pm, Asif Iqbal wrote:
>
>  Do I upgrade from RT 3.4.5 to RT 3.8.1 directly? Or there is a roadmap
>> somewhere?
>>

> You can do this in almost one go, yes.  It's almost exactly what I'm doing
> with my production RT, where I'm going from 3.4.2 to 3.8.1
>

>> Do I upgrade the mysql 4.0.24 to 4.1 first before upgrading the RT?
>>

> Yes.  Or at least, here's what I've tested, and seems to work quite well:
>
> 1)  Set up a new RT box for your new server, so that you can always back
> out if this goes wrong.  On this server, install the new version of MySQL
> you want to use, and install RT 3.8.1
>
> 2)  Make a dump of your production MySQL instance, and load it into the new
> MySQL database.
>
> 3)  Run the /opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --action upgrade command as
> detailed in the RT 3.8.1 README file, but only as far as version 3.8.0
>
> 4)  Run the MySQL upgrade script, as detailed in UPGRADING.mysql, and apply
> the SQL statements it wants you to make.  This can take a long time; the
> alter table statements are pretty slow-running.
>
> 5)  Run the /opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --action upgrade thing again
> for the last small changes from 3.8.0 to 3.8.1

On my new server (not production yet) the upgrade is failing. I don't want
to change the ACL on
the database unless that is harmless, to successfully upgrade

/opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --dba root --prompt-for-dba-password
--action upgrade
In order to create or update your RT database, this script needs to connect
to your  mysql instance on localhost as root
Please specify that user's database password below. If the user has no
database
password, just press return.

Password:
Working with:
Type:   mysql
Host:   localhost
Name:   rt3
User:   rt_user
DBA:    root
Enter RT version you're upgrading from: 3.4.5

Going to apply following upgrades:
* 3.5.1
* 3.7.1
* 3.7.3
* 3.7.10
* 3.7.15
* 3.7.19
* 3.7.81
* 3.7.82
* 3.7.85
* 3.7.86
* 3.7.87
* 3.8.0
* 3.8.1
* 3.8.2

Enter RT version if you want to stop upgrade at some point,
  or leave it blank if you want apply above upgrades:

IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO BACK UP BEFORE THIS STEP

Proceed [y/N]:y
Processing 3.5.1
DBI connect('dbname=rt3;host=localhost','rt_user',...) failed: Access denied
for user 'rt_user'@'localhost' (using password: YES) at
/opt/csw/share/perl/site_perl/DBIx/SearchBuilder/Handle.pm line 106
Connect Failed Access denied for user 'rt_user'@'localhost' (using password:
YES)
 at /opt/rt3/sbin/../lib/RT.pm line 204

I can login OK  with `mysql   -u root    -p rt3'
I failed to login with `mysql   -u rt_user  -p rt3'  using the password I
have in RT_*Config.pm files (same) for rt_user

The same login attempt works on the original instance of RT (3.4.5)

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu