[rt-users] Query for Service Downtime

Drew Barnes barnesaw at ucrwcu.rwc.uc.edu
Thu Apr 30 10:08:59 EDT 2009

Kenneth Marshall wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:18:03AM -0700, Tom Lahti wrote:
>
>> RT doesn't monitor anything, so it doesn't really have the necessary data to
>> create availability reports.  Xymon's web site is
>> http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/  (it still says hobbit monitor all over
>> it, but they've changed the name due to legal issues).
>>
>> As far as integration, it would be quite simple to have xymon fire an alert
>> to the email address for a queue, thereby automatically creating a ticket
>> during an alarm event, something I plan on doing here.  But the availability
>> report would still only be available through xymon, not through RT.  That is
>> not RT's purpose.
>>

> If you had tickets created by the monitoring system, resolve when
> the service was restored, you could generate a report with availability
> information.

You could also adapt
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/AutoCloseOnNagiosRecoveryMessages
for  the Xymon alert emails (if it also sends an "all is ok" once things
are back to normal). No manual intervention on the RT side necessary
unless you want to require human intervention for issue tracking/fixes.

--
Drew Barnes
Applications Analyst