[rt-users] 3.8.4 installation issue

Brian Gallew geek+rt at cmu.edu
Wed Aug 5 02:04:22 EDT 2009

Kevin Falcone wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 02:43:33PM +0300, Brian Gallew wrote:
>
>> So, I'm installing RT-3.8.4 on a virgin system, for the most part using
>> an RT_SiteConfig.pm that is very similar to the 3.6.5 system I have in
>> production (database/hostname differences).  I've run the
>> testdeps/fixdeps bits repeatedly and they claim I'm up to date.  I've
>> even used the CPAN "r" command to tell met what to update and then
>> update as much as I can, all to no avail.  Here is the error I'm getting:
>>

> When you configured, did you say --with-web-handler=modperl2
> otherwise make testdeps can't test everything.
> But, if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say your mod_perl install isn't
> quite kosher

I'll actually address a bunch of emails here:

PERL=/home/rt/perl-5.10.0/bin/perl ./configure
--with-web-handler=modperl1 --with-db-type=mysql
--with-db-host=mysql.qatar.cmu.local --with-db-database=rt3_8_1_test
--with-db-rt-user=rt_user --with-db-rt-pass=rt_pass
--with-web-user=nobody --with-web-group=tty --with-rt-group=nogroup
--with-apachectl=/usr/www/bin/apachectl --prefix=/home/rt

The Apache version is 1.3.39.
The perl version is 5.10.0.

The "odd" paths to perl and RT result from not trying to rebuild the
entire system and instead just running it from ~rt.  The system perl is
5.8.6, and I'm reasonably sure I saw a post indicating compatibility
issues with that version.  Further, that build has been known to be
changed out from underneath me randomly, thus causing mod_perl to break.

Also, the Fedora Core people wouldn't recognize this as a Fedora Core
system at all.  It's been completely overhauled and integrated with our
package/depot/AFS environment.

The configure command for the (built again just for this email!)
mod_perl1 build is:
21 mod_perl-1.31 > /home/rt/perl-5.10.0/bin/perl Makefile.PL
EVERYTHING=1 WITH_APXS=/usr/www/bin/apxs USE_APXS=1

It built and installed flawlessly, but I'm still seeing exactly the same
issue.  I've even trashed and re-initialized the database, to no avail.

And the problem with open source software isn't the quality of the
software.  It's the whiners who have *nothing* to contribute except
carping and flames.  The people at BestPractical have made a great piece
of software available to us at no cost, and the very least we can do is
express our gratitude for their efforts.  (Thanks, guys!)