[rt-users] Initiating tickets and entering tickets via forward

Jonathan Manton jmanton at illinois.edu
Tue Aug 25 14:35:41 EDT 2009

On Aug 25, 2009, at 7:57 AM, Toby Darling wrote:

> Hi Jonathan
>
>> 1)  Sometimes the students send an email directly to their
>> instructor,
>> rather than sending the email to RT first.  We want those emails
>> going
>> through RT.
>
> If your instructors have access to a decent email client, they can
> bounce/redirect the message straight into RT. There's a great
> Thunderbird extension called Mail Redirect. It's built-in to old-
> school clients like mutt. We've just been forcibly moved to Outlook/
> Exchange and it's all gone pear shaped :-(

This works beautifully (and is SO much easier than what I was
contemplating doing...).

Thanks!

>> 2)  Instructors sometimes need to initiate a ticket with a student,
>> as
>> if the student was the requester (so that replies will go into RT,
>> rather than to the instructor's private email address).
>
> I've got a similar requirement. After a little thought - how about
> setting up a new queue that uses a queue specific Autoreply template
> that does nothing more than include the original message? Instructor
> goes:
>
>  New Ticket in -> SpecialQueue
>  fill in student as requestor
>  set subject
>  write message
>  click send
>  [RT sends the On Create Autoreply which is just the text that the
> instructor added]
>  change queue to what it should be
>
> Anyone see an issue with that?

This is a good idea.  However, we have to support lots of classes, and
I don't relish the idea of creating a second queue (with queue-
specific templates) for each class.  What I ended up doing this
morning is customizing the global Autoreply template so that it
detects to see if the ticket was created using the UI, and send a
different sort of message to the student.

But I don't like how I implemented this.  I ended up having to
essentially wrap my template in a big if statement, and do one thing
if the original message contained received headers, and something else
if not (got this from OnWebCorrespond in Wiki).  This is messy, and
will be VERY error prone when editing the text.  Is there an easy way
to simply chose a different template based on some condition for the
autoreply?  I'd basically just like to choose one template or another
based on a simple test.

Including the template (as in the ForkTemplate contribution on the
Wiki) didn't work, since I had variables to evaluate in each template,
and doing it as ForkTemplate suggests ends up just pasting the perl
code in the sub-templates, rather than evaluating them.  Maybe wrap
the template I loaded in an eval statement or something?  I am a perl
newbie, so I'm at a bit of a loss.