[rt-users] RT with forms and workflow?

Lorens Kockum rt-id-45 at lists.lorens.org
Sun Aug 30 17:54:29 EDT 2009

Hi,

I've installed RT several times over the years (starting at
1.0.7) to fill the need "requester sends an e-mail to create a
ticket, helpdesk handles it".

Today I have an additional need, a need for heavily checked web
forms with workflow, with absolutely minimal effort required
to create a (simple) form and associated workflow. It's easy
to imagine a web interface with drop-down boxes (filled from
LDAP) that creates a ticket, but I'm looking for something
where one can *easily* create a workflow : the ticket owner
sees the custom fields filled in by the requestor, has more
fields to fill in that are not available or even visible to the
original requestor (then or later !), and has only to fill them
in and click OK to send off the ticket to the next person/queue
on the workflow. That could be a sub-queue or more likely a
custom status, that could be set only on a ticket with the
specific fields filled, only set by a person with a specific
authorization . . .

I've spent some time trying to find information on RT used in
this way. I've found

	http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/WorkFlow

and

	http://www.nabble.com/Create-standard-request-forms-with-RT-td22001993.html

but while in combination it would seem that what I need is
possible, I get the impression that it all boils down to writing
a lot of perl even for a very simple workflow, and I can't say I
found a lot of examples.

Is this kind of use of RT something usual, something
supported? Is there more documentation than what I have found?

If not, what do people use?

--
Lorens