[rt-users] Schema problem with RT

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Wed Dec 9 10:48:38 EST 2009

Dear RT developers,

I have been investigating a problem with the automatic account
creation process. I have been getting "could not load user"
errors when internal users where trying to test from their
external E-mail accounts to verify functionality. The upshot
of my investigation is that the schemas all define a unique
index on Name in the Users table. This is doomed to fail for
most people who are sending from their Gmail/Hotmail/AOL
accounts instead of their internal E-mail addresses.

I was under the impression that the unique identifier for
RT users was the EmailAddress and not the Name. In that
case, the unique index should be on EmailAddress, instead
of Name or alternatively the unique index should be on a
composite key such as Name+EmailAddress.

Would there be a problem with making that schema change
and which is the preferred direction.

Regards,
Ken Marshall