[rt-users] Error: Registering installation for rt-3.8.6... tar: +*: Not found in archive

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Dec 20 13:00:10 EST 2009

Zach Boettner wrote:
> Can someone help me resolve the following error which seems to have occurred
> near or at the end of the installation process? I'm new to RT installation
> and fairly new to FreeBSD. Aslo, how can I upgrade my installation to 3.8.7
> since the package/port is 3.8.6?

The latest version provided by the ports is 3.8.6 -- which means that you have
two choices: either wait until the port gets upgraded, which could happen at
pretty much any time, or install 3.8.7 outside the ports.  Port maintainers
will usually update their ports fairly promptly, but there are no guarantees.
If you're desperate for the latest version for some reason, you can always ask
the maintainer what their plans are, but remember that maintainers are volunteers
and doing all this in their spare time.

> See the TODO section at the top of the port's Makefile

> ===>   Registering installation for rt-3.8.6
>
> tar: +*: Not found in archive
>
> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
>
> pkg_info: tar extract of /usr/ports/www/rt38/rt-3.8.6 failed!
>
> pkg_info: error during unpacking, no info for 'rt-3.8.6' available
>
> freebsd8#

Can you show us the exact command you typed here?  This doesn't look like
the output when installing from sources.  In fact to hazard a guess you've
typed 'pkg_add rt-3.8.6.tar.gz'  where rt-3.8.6.tar.gz is the RT source tarball
downloaded from bestpractical.com.  Unfortunately, pkg_add(1) expects a
FreeBSD binary package (which is a bzip compressed tar archive, but contains
pre-compiled binaries rather than sources plus a number of ancilliary files with
names like +COMMENT, +INSTALL etc.)  FreeBSD binary packages almost always come
from the  FreeBSD.org ftp sites rather than anywhere else.

Actually, as RT is pure perl code, there's no real advantage to installing from
a binary package.  Any one of these three commands should install RT for you --
although for the 2nd and 3rd ones you will have to have previously installed
the application used:

    1)

    # cd /usr/ports/www/rt38
    # make clean ; make install

    2)

    # portinstall www/rt38

    3)

    # portmaster /usr/ports/www/rt38

For more information: read the Handbook.  It's here:

   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3