[rt-users] You're almost there! - But PerRequire Statement Kills Apache???

Zach Boettner zachb at oxfordsuites.com
Wed Dec 23 13:39:41 EST 2009

Ok, so, after pulling my hair out the last couple days I finally get a
webpage with the following:

<Best Practical logo here>

You're almost there!

You haven't yet configured your webserver to run RT. You appear to have
installed RT's web interface correctly, but haven't yet configured your web
server to "run" the RT server which powers the web interface. The next step
is to edit your webserver's configuration file to instruct it to use RT's
mod_perl, FastCGI or SpeedyCGI handler. If you need commercial support,
please contact us at sales at bestpractical.com.

Following is what I have in my httpd.conf file. If I use a trailing / in the
Alias below I always get a HTTP 403 error. Remove that slash as shown below
and I get the Best Practical You're Almost there! Message shown above. Is
the following httpd.conf config acceptable, or does it really need to have
the trailing / and something else is causing the HTTP 403 error??

Alias /rt /usr/local/share/rt38/html

<Directory "/usr/local/share/rt38/html">

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

AllowOverride AuthConfig

Order deny,allow

Allow from all

</Directory>

In any case, as the above message says, I need to configure my httpd.conf to
use RT's mod_perl. Now I do have the following in httpd.conf: LoadModule
perl_module libexec/apache22/mod_perl.so. However, when I put    PerlRequire
/usr/local/bin/webmux.pl under my Directory definition (above) and then do a
apachectl restart / start apache seems to refuse to start. As soon as I
remove the PerlRequire statement apache will start just fine.

Does this indicate perl is not installed properly or at all? How can I fix
this???