[rt-users] Hardware Config

Martin Maurer martin at proxmox.com
Tue Feb 10 04:58:06 EST 2009

> Has anyone tried running RT in a virtual machine?

yes, we also have a ready to run virtual appliance,
See http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/RT_Request_Tracker

But this virtual appliance runs on Proxmox VE (means OpenVZ is used as virtualization technology).

I am working also with vmware since years (and also other virtualizations technologies) and the biggest issue is IO performance.
We prefer OpenVZ for database intensive servers like RT as we have NO virtual disks here you get the best performance.

On VMWare, you got virtual disks which costs performance. So if you want to go for VMware, I suggest you invest some money in a fast SAN.
(Or, if you want to try fast and cost effective virtualization - try Proxmox VE)

Just to mention:
you can also install Proxmox VE inside your VMware and use the virtual appliance - then RT performs similar as you install it "by hand" in your VMWare environment.

Best Regards,

Martin Maurer

martin at proxmox.com
http://pve.proxmox.com