[rt-users] Severe performance problems suddenly in RT 3.8.2

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Feb 18 04:37:29 EST 2009

On 18 Feb 2009, at 12:48 am, Ruslan Zakirov wrote:

> First time I see something like that. May be it's better to ask on
> mysql lists. And sure you should keep digging into a reason. My
> practice shows that there is no such thing as "suddenly" in IT. There
> is always some change that turn world up side down.
>
> optimize/analyze on InnoDB don't do the same job as on myisam tables,
> it's documented in mysql's docs. You can find way to rebuild indexes
> on a table and as the last resort use full re-load.

We've had a flash of realisation, and we think we know what the
problem is.  This virtual machine has a snapshot on it.  This means
that all writes subsequent to the snapshot being taken have been going
to a replay log, rather than to the .vmdk file that the virtual
machine lives in.  Presumably this is a much more complex scenario for
I/O to operate in than when snapshots are not present.  I hadn't
realised this was how VMware snapshots work.

So, I'm deleting the snapshots now, but this is a very time consuming
process because it's having to replay a week's worth of RT writes back
into the .vmdk file.  We'll let you know whether this solves the
problem.

Tim