[rt-users] dealing with Cc:

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Mon Jan 5 09:06:46 EST 2009

On Mon  5.Jan'09 at 15:10:25 +0200, Razvan Cosma wrote:
>     Hello,
>    I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal with a common issue we have
>    when multiple recipients are specified for a message. If a customer sends
>    a message to our ticket system with a dozen other persons in to: and/or
>    cc:, it will be stored correctly, but
>    1. If any of the other recipients replies to the initial message, keeping
>    RT in Cc: a new ticket will be created, with him/her as requestor. Is it
>    possible for RT to detect such replies and store them as part of the same
>    issue?

The problem is that it's relatively hard to do this _right_. Most of the
ways one could do this would result in RT accidentally aggregating all
sorts of unrelated messages.  In particular, there's a user behaviour
that makes this work _really_ poorly:

Users frequently craft new messages by clicking "reply" or "reply all"
and blanking out the subject and body. In at least one of the most
common mail clients (outlook), this means you end up with a message that
has the In-Reply-To: header but isn't actually a reply.

Coping with both sides of this would require some engineering work,
though I do have a design for a system that would make you happy. It's a
fair bit of work, though.

>    2. When sending messages from RT to a list of Cc: each recipient will only
>    see the RT alias as originator, so replies will not be seen by the others.
>    Is this a configurable option?

The configuration option is in RT_Config.pm - RT can automatically add
all of a ticket-creating-message's recipients as ccs on the ticket, so
RT automatically routes all replies to all those folks.

Jesse