[rt-users] RT3 and ITIL

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Fri Jan 9 09:55:07 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 03:46:52PM +0100, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Mike Peachey schrieb:
> > Jesse Vincent wrote:
> >
> >> Does
> >> your boss know which of the ITIL areas/practices/functions he's looking
> >> to implement?
> >>

> > Sorry.. I *HAVE* to chip in here having been on the receiving end before:
> >
> > Does your boss know what ITIL means? Or has he just been handed a
> > buzzword from a more senior manager or (more likely) a
> > corporate-sponsored newsletter/magazine?
> >

> I'm not sure.
> ;-)
> Maybe he just wants to go with a commercial package.
>
> I will try to figure out what he actually wants.
> I can install and configure RT on a weekend (started using it seriously
> with 3.4), but figuring out the processes beyond the built-in stuff
> takes way longer.
> And I can't do that alone, because whatever I implement will most likely
> be wrong in the eyes of the people who decide on it.
>

> Rainer

Having just been through some ITIL training, RT has the flixibility
to easily support any ITIL processes that you would wish to provide.
As others have mentioned, getting agreement and support from management
is often difficult. There is a tendency to believe that a commercial
product that is branded as ITIL compliant will make it all magically
happen. It will not and ITIL is very clear about not providing
implementations, only guidelines and a framework to be used in your
own implementation. For example, we use the RT approvals process as
a piece of our change management process. A commercial package may
or may not be right for your organization, but what is true is that
the amount of configuration needed to support your internal ITIL
processes will be similiar indepedent of your tool.

Good luck,
Ken