[rt-users] Hardware Config

Mathew mathew.snyder at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 14:37:30 EST 2009

We presently have our RT installation running on the same hardware as the database: an Intel 1550 box with 4 cores of about 2.5GHz each and 8GB RAM.  We've been plagued with speed issues even after upgrading to this.  We realized initial performance gains when we installed to the new hardware about two and a half years ago but eventually that faded.

Our engineering director now is suggesting another tech refresh which would add dedicated hardware for the database leaving the frontend on the existing hardware.  I'm skeptical that this will improve anything due to RT's small footprint and what I perceive as inherent obstacles to performance.

My skepticism is based on the fact that the some of the ways we use RT cause ticket load times to be slow regardless of any changes (I wish I could convince one person in particular that RT isn't meant to be a document versioning repository but he's quite retarded at times).  Additionally, the page refresh for every click doesn't help.  When a ticket has hundreds of transactions it has to gather them up before the Mason libraries even build the page.  Add to that often numerous attachments and things get even worse.

Has anyone else found dedicated hardware to be a significant factor in boosting performance?  How powerful did you make it?  I'm still evaluating the mysqltuner.pl script Ruslan suggested in another thread I created so I've yet to see what improvements can be made on the software side.

--
Keep up with my goings on at http://feeds.feedburner.com/theillien_atom