[rt-users] Hardware Config

jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Fri Jan 16 17:06:13 EST 2009

Jesse Vincent <jesse at bestpractical.com> wrote:

>At 8 gigs of RAM on a well-tuned system, most of what RT is pulling out
>of the database should always be cached in memory.  If MySQL is going to
>disk on every query, the game's over and you're better off sobbing
>quietly into a stiff drink than getting faster disks.

True, but the database server might have many other busy databases as well,
not just RT's ;-)

I'm definitely not an expert on how mysql utilizes system memory, but on
32-bit Linux systems, isn't the max amount of memory a single process can
use 2 GB?  Can it even take advantage of the extra 6 GB?

James