[rt-users] decode this line in the Wiki for me?

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Mon Jan 26 14:33:29 EST 2009

In the Wiki FAQ about performance, I found the following run on
sentence.  I've reread it a dozen times and I'm still not sure that I
completely understand what the author meant.   If someone would be
willing to parse this out for me, I'd be happy to rewrite it for the
wiki.

> Memory. RT uses a lot of memory in total. You need adopt amount of
> process(Apache, FastCGI, DB) to fit into 70% your memory under
> average workload. For example, if you have RT on Apache/mp/mysql
> with ~20-30 end-users, then it's enough to have 4-6 Apache processes
> this also control DB processes/threads because eache Apache instance
> with Apache::DBI has own DB connect each DB connect require one or
> more DB process/thread to support. Also people report that one
> FastCGI process can serve 2-3 Apache processes. You also have to
> leave room for memory usage growing, example: Apache/mp process has
> 10-25MB size under average workload, but on big incoming message
> memory footprint could grow up to 200-300MB. Out of memory is most
> perfomance problem it's blow up HDD activity for swap out/in memory.

In particular, "adopt amount of process to fit into 70% your
memory".   Does this mean calculate the memory usage of Mod_Perl or
FastCGI processes and come up with a number of processes which
wouldn't exceed 70% of your total memory?  Ie,
	60mb per process
	1024mb total ram

	Set Apache MaxServers = 11 ?   (60mb * 11 = 660mb of ram)

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness