[rt-users] Using the approvals system in 3.8.2

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Fri Jan 30 17:41:32 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 08:38:12PM -0800, Cassandra L. Brockett wrote:
> Okay, I've spent about two days trying to figure this out, and to be honest, the documentation isn't being very helpful...
>
> I need to get basic approvals working for RT, I was using 3.6.7, and the upgrade to 3.8.2 erased the approvals scrips (thankfully we weren't using the approval system at the time of the upgrade)...

If you had approvals that were working in 3.6.7, they should have
continued to work in 3.8.2. What we replaced were the scrips that caused
approval actions to happen. We moved the code somewhere it's easier to
test and maintain and fixed bugs, but didn't fundamentally change how
existing user code should work.

> Now however I'm trying to add approvals to a new queue, and I'm going nowhere fast...
>
> All the documentation refers to earlier versions of RT, and I even found references online to a "New approvals system" with 3.8.2... However zero documentation on how to enable it for a queue or even just system-wide, so I'm asking for help now.
>
> Simply put:-
> 1) Has anyone gotten the Approvals systems working with RT 3.8.2?  Are you willing to share how?

Yes. There were a bunch of issues in the approvals system that crept in
between 3.4.0 and 3.8.1. As part of the overhaul, we've added tests to
make sure they don't break again.

> 2) Has anyone done an upgrade from an earlier RT to 3.8.2 and managed to get approvals working?

Yes.

Let's start from the top.  I _think_ that keeping this debugging session
on rt-users will be helpful to other (and future) readers.

Approvals are based around RT's "Create Tickets" action. The idea is
that you should create new tickets of Type approval in queue
___Approvals?

RT before 3.8.2 used scrips in the ___Approvals queue. RT 3.8.2 and
forward build in the same code at a deeper level.

Can you explain what you've done to date, including your "Create
Tickets" templates?

Best,
Jesse