[rt-users] rt 3.8.2 / mail loop by out-of-office reply

Odhiambo ワシントン odhiambo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 11:39:14 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Ruslan Zakirov <ruslan.zakirov at gmail.com>wrote:

> Shot the user with a shotgun :)
>
> I think "out of office" reply creates a new ticket each time cuz
> subject has no ticket number. May be it's possible lower number of
> loops with some set of conditions on "Autoreply to requestors on
> create" scrip, for exampl:
>
> * matches I'm out of the office
> * "small" text
> * has reference to a mail, but subject is different
> * ....
>
> It's not a silver bullet, but may help in many cases.
>

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Bernhard
> Hansbauer<bernhard.hansbauer at greentube.com> wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > it's not for the first time we encounter a mail loop caused by an
> erroneous
> > configuration of a user, and we receive hundreds of auto replies.
> > rt does not recognize them as mail loop, thus we can only break it by
> > blocking the sender's mail address.
> >
> > is there any other way to interrupt such loops?
> >
> > any hint would be greatly appreciated,

IIRC, autoreplies should, as a standard, have "X-Precedence: bulk" set as
one of the headers, but there may be some other strings in the headers that
you can base a match on.
You can then write a filter rule for your MTA such that if this header (or
other string) is matched on the header and the destination (TO:, CC:, BCC)
matches _any_ of your queue addresses on RT, then the mail is discarded, but
with a copy to RT_ADMIN??

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,