[rt-users] RT3 new install and customisations.

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Tue Jul 14 10:06:04 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 08:28:24AM +0200, Erwan HAMON wrote:
> I guess I will publish the scrip on best-practical's wiki, but how should I
> proceed to have patches and rewrite published or merged with existing
> extensions?

If you have patches to published extensions, the right thing to do is
to send them to the correct queue on http://rt.cpan.org so that the
authors can look to include them.

> I am installing RT3 at a small software company as part of an intership to get
> an engineering degree.
>
> Some RT3 customisations I did might be useful to others from what I read at a
> quick glance in this list archives.
>
> - Extensive rework to LDAPImport (version 0.04) so as to:

The easiest thing to do to generate patches for LDAPImport is probably
to clone from github
http://github.com/bestpractical/rt-extension-ldapimport
and generate diffs against that, since I assume there are some
differences between the 0.04 you were modifying and the 0.07 on cpan.

>   + Share LDAP parameters with RT-Authen-ExternalAuth-0.08

Did you maintain backcompat for people using LDAPImport already?

>   + Synchronise in almost real time RT3 users with LDAP by reading LDIF
>     files in a cron job.
>
>   + Allow RT3 custom fields to be fed from LDAP as well.

LDAPImport can populate values for custom fields from LDAP, I assume
you mean that you pull User Custom Field values and set them during
import?  Hopefully this doesn't conflict with the existing
functionality.

>   + Add users to RT3 groups acording to two mechanisms (LDAP attribute
>     and LDAP search base)

This will be interesting to see, although again, hopefully it doesn't
conflict with the existing group functionality.

> - One scrip to add as CC to new tickets members of the same groups as
>   the requestor. (Many users for one client account)
>
> - Plus a few cosmetic or localisation improvements at RTx::EmailCompletion
>   and "show status in color".
>
> My code still needs some clean-up as I am new to Perl and I haven't looked at
> how to package it.

I look forward to seeing your patches

-kevin