[rt-users] why is RTFM demanding CPAN?

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Tue Jul 28 15:54:51 EDT 2009

I'm trying to install RTFM 2.4.2 and it's trying to set up all sorts
of CPAN stuff.  Why?  I can tell you now that this isn't going to
work.   I'm only using a normal user account, and frankly I detest
CPAN and the whole "screw up all the perl-based software on your
system easily and automatically!" that is CPAN.  If RTFM needs some
perl modules, I will evaluate and install them one by one,
carefully.   Ad-hoc installs and upgrades only break things that have
differing dependancies.

I don't mind having to upgrade a different piece of software to
resolve a version dependancy issue -- but i hate having it broken for
me, before I am even aware there will be a problem.   Auto-package-
install is guaranteed failure unless you limit yourself to one perl-
based software package per machine.

In the next update, please make it possible for a person to not use
CPAN.   "make testdeps" should do the job just fine, thank you.  You
can have "make fixdeps" use CPAN -- I'll never run it, and that way
people who want to swath/trash/destroy can do so at their leisure ;-)

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness