[rt-users] Migrating from Postgres to MySQL

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Tue Jul 28 16:56:08 EDT 2009

Kage,

The main advantage is gained by avoiding I/O through the virtual
disk. The layout of the virtual disk tends to turn most I/O into
random I/O, even I/O that starts as sequential. The factor of
10 performance difference between random/sequential I/O causes
the majority of the performance problem. I have not had personal
experience with using an NFS mount point to run a database so I
cannot really comment on that. Good luck with your evaluation.

Cheers,
Ken