[rt-users] Query Regarding Upgrade to 3.8.4

Ruslan Zakirov ruslan.zakirov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 06:44:34 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Duncan McEwan<duncan at ecs.vuw.ac.nz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently upgraded our RT installation from 3.8.1 to 3.8.4.  The upgrade
> seemed to go fine, and as far as I can see everything is working well.
>
> But I have a query relating to the upgrade script etc/upgrade/3.8.4/content.
>
> We do use Ruslan's RT-Action-NotifyGroup extension (version 0.2) and so
> I'd like to know what effect this upgrade script has on our database.

Do you know that this extension is part of RT 3.8? If you have
extension installed from the CPAN as well then most probably CPAN
version will mask RT's version which has been updated. RT's version
has new features, for example it allow you to use non-user email
address, user name, user email, group name or numeric id in the
argument. With these changes it's really easier to use this action
with rt-crontool.

> As far as I could see from examining the ScripActions table before and
> after running the upgrade script (using rt-setup-database), it made no
> change.  Both before and after the script was run, the Argument value
> for each NotifyGroup or NotifyGroupAsComment action was the numeric id
> of the appropriate group from the Groups table.
>
> Is this what they are supposed to be?

Yes. This script converts very old format of argument string to the
current. Probably nobody has arguments in this format anymore. Also,
in old version any separator of ids was allowed, but now it's only
comma.

> I tried to understand what the upgrade script is doing, but I got lost
> on the call to Storable::thaw($arg).  I'm not sure why it is trying to
> thaw the value of $arg, when I can't see how that variable would contain
> something previously returned by Storable::freeze().
>
> In fact I can't see anywhere that $arg is set, so I was wondering whether
> that was a typo and it should actually be $argument, which *is* set three
> lines earlier.  On the off-chance, I tried changing $arg to $argument and
> rerunning the script (on a test database!) but it still had no (apparent)
> effect.

Oh, you're right about argument vs arg. Going to change that, but you
shouldn't worry. Hope nobody has that old format used.

> It's quite likely that I'm missing something obvious here.
>
> Any assistance with what this upgrade script is trying to achieve, and
> whether or not the current values for the Arguments for those actions
> in our database seem correct would be much appreciated.

Comma separated list of ids is perfectly good argument.

> Thanks,
>
> Duncan

Best regards, Ruslan.