[rt-users] Adding arbitrary CC email addresses?

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Fri Jul 31 15:57:32 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 03:18:10PM -0400, Johnathan Bell wrote:
>    I think I don't completely understand something about how RT works. How can I add a CC to a
>    ticket that's just the raw email address, ie. the user doesn't have an account on our server?

RT creates a User account behind your back when you do that.
They're an unprivileged user without a password, but RT needs the User
account to track things internally.

>    Any time I try, I receive the error message "Could not find or create that user". I don't
>    really want to litter our system with a bunch of randomly created users - I just want to be
>    able to send correspondance to users without them actually having an account. Is that even
>    possible? If it's not, then where am I overthinking this? What would be the "normal" way of
>    doing things?

Are you using RT::Authen::ExternalAuth or just normal RT auth?
If the former, go look at the AutoCreateNonExternalUsers config
setting (and your logs)

-kevin