[rt-users] Asset tracking, multiple Contacts in same company, Custom fields, RTFM and more

who else bogey_63 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 1 13:29:23 EST 2009

Hi Ken,
thank you for your answer

Kevin Phair wrote:

> For the above idea, you can try this:
> http://code.google.com/p/asset-tracker-4rt/wiki/HowToLinkTicketToAssetScrip
>
> In theory, you add a ticket custom field, and the user can then just
> stick in the name of an asset and the ticket will be linked to that
> asset.  So far it isn't actually working for me, but I haven't played
> with it yet to see why not.
>
> Asset Tracker does appear to be alive, you can take a look around
> http://code.google.com/p/asset-tracker-4rt/.  It does appear to work
> under the latest release of RT.  You may want to grab the 1.2.4b1
> version for the bug fixes it has.
>

>  > Would also be great, if we could attach files to the "company".
>
> I've been hoping to use RTFM for this, but haven't actually tested out
> my plan.  For now, the plan is to create a 'class' in RTFM for each
> company, and then upload files into one or more articles.
>
>  >
>  > I understand, that multiple contacts in same company is a real problem
>  > currently, but i think, that there must be more companies out there,
> having
>  > the same problem. So anybody got a workflow for this?
>
> Is there any reason that 'groups' will not work for this?  I'm looking
> into replacing our in-house ticket-system/client database/kitchen-sink
> system with an RT-based setup.  My preliminary plan is to dump all
> clients and their related users and use the rt tool to create
> corresponding groups with their users, after creating the custom fields
> necessary to match to the current set of data we have for each user.  Is
> there a reason that this will not work well in RT?

We intend to use RTFM as Knowledgebase; and concerning groups, i will have
to dig deeper into it; i am glad, that RT is up and running, clients are
able to enter/send tickets, we are able to work on them, that's cool enough,
although RTFM needs a bit more tweaking, but it is less documented than RT
itself. We also have several different databases and information systems and
we want to have everything concerning tech support, assets like systems,
machines etc. in one system, instead of having them to lookup emails in CRM
or ERP or whatsoever. We will have somewhen an integration with our ERP, so
we can check several tickets in ERP and get the according invoice out of the
door :-) But we need to move forward with RT first, because clients keep
calling all day ...

Will talk to our techies tomorrow but first of all, get RTx::AT installed to
check out.

Best

w_e

PS: btw, any other extensions i should be aware of, which might help to
accomplish the task?