[rt-users] DB Problems upgrading to RT 3.8.2 from 3.6.5

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Mon Mar 2 17:34:27 EST 2009

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 08:23:31AM +1000, David Hobley wrote:
> If that is the case, then RT is un-upgradeable. Which would be a problem obviously. I can't take out our database for 6 days. Over a weekend, sure. But no more than that. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can optimise this at all?

Hm. I've made this schema change to larger RT instances in much less time.
How heavily loaded is your database? How much IO contention is there?

First up, you should make sure you've tuned mysql a bit. 30 minutes with
mysqltuner can be a night-and-day change.

How long do your nightly MySQL backups of RT take? Another option might
be to dump, massage the schema and load.