[rt-users] Problem with AdminCC's not being sent

Bill Cole rtusers-20090205 at billmail.scconsult.com
Tue Mar 3 18:09:36 EST 2009

Blake Crawford wrote, On 3/3/09 4:54 PM:

> Hi folks:
>
> I've been pouring over the lists and trying to debug this for a while,
> but can't seem to come up with a reason.  I have a group set up on a
> queue with all rights.  When I set that group to watch a ticket as
> adminCC, and then create a scrip that notifies the adminCCs on comment,
> all indications are that the email is being sent but it doesn't ever
> arrive.  Below is a section of the RT log, where all the XXXX's are to
> protect the identities of the unwilling.
>
> Please note, everything works just fine when the group is set to watch
> as CC's rather than AdminCCs.  This very well could be a problem with
> the mail setup, but if so I need to communicate that to the systems
> folks very clearly.

[...]

> [Tue Mar  3 21:33:25 2009] [error]:
> <rt-3.8.1-25239-1236116005-1140.2468-24-0 at xxxxxx.mtvn.com
> <mailto:rt-3.8.1-25239-1236116005-1140.2468-24-0 at xxxxxx.mtvn.com>>:
> `/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t` exitted with code 64 (/opt/rt3_xxxxxx
> s.mtvn.com/bin/../lib/RT/Interface/Email.pm:417
> <http://s.mtvn.com/bin/../lib/RT/Interface/Email.pm:417>)

Sendmail choked on the message.

If RT can send any mail at all successfully, then the most likely cause of
this particular problem is a broken email address for one of the recipients.
The '-t' flag that RT is passing to sendmail tells it to scan the headers
for recipients. If sendmail sees an improper email address (such as one
containing a non-ASCII character) in a To/Cc/Bcc header, it will reject the
message altogether. I do not know for sure, but I'd bet that RT is less
strict in what it allows as a user email address than sendmail is.