[rt-users] RT Emails Being Blocked by Various Providers

Atro Tossavainen atossava at cc.helsinki.fi
Fri Mar 6 20:44:18 EST 2009

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, Jerrad Pierce wrote:

> PTR is for reverse mapping from IP to name. Yahoo stupidly requires this.

Inability to configure PTR records is a sign of incompetence.  Rejecting
mail from incompetently managed networks (based on whichever definition
of incompetence you're comfortable with) may be a good idea.

RFC 1912, while informational only, states that all IP addresses should
have corresponding PTR entries (and that all entries should be valid,
which seems really hard to grasp to many ISPs).  It dates from early 1996.
Section 2.1 in RFC 1912 deals with this issue.  The reverse DNS does not
need to be anything fancy, it only needs to exist (and be valid).

Saying that somebody is "stupid" for requiring this is a bit like writing
to the various DNSBLs of dynamically assigned IP address space and saying
that they have to remove your dynamically assigned IP address from their
list just because you say so (while admitting it yourself that it is
indeed dynamically assigned, helpfully making their point for them)...

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,