[rt-users] Advice for New Machine

Sean sean at ttys0.net
Fri Mar 13 16:54:51 EDT 2009

>     Can I assume your voting for Linux?

Within the context of RT I don't understand what "voting for Linux" is
supposed to mean. RT doesn't care about what kernel is running. It only
cares about the supporting software, which itself is also independent of
the kernel.

Based on my experience, I believe a source-based distribution is the
best way to go, unless somebody wants to hand build every necessary
component, starting with perl and apache. That is something I
considered, but the maintenance involved with that kind of environment
is not something I wanted to tackle.

I have a lot of familiarity with the portage package management system
of Gentoo, which is why I chose it. It just so happens that the Gentoo
distribution is primarily a Linux based distribution. But the running
kernel played little to no role in my choice.

I suspect using ports with a FreeBSD platform would work just as well
for someone who is familiar with ports. It's not about the kernel, it's
about the software environment. In my opinion a software environment
with a source based package management system is the best option because
of all the different software pieces required for RT to function
optimally.

-Sean