[rt-users] Email delay on ticket creation - SOLVED

Derek Cunningham derek at curis.com
Thu Mar 19 09:21:56 EDT 2009

On 3/12/09 10:45 AM, "Bill Cole" <rtusers-20090205 at billmail.scconsult.com>
wrote:

> Derek Cunningham wrote, On 3/12/09 8:30 AM:
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> I really appreciate your time and helpful answers.  They have certainly
>> pointed me in the right direction, and I'll update the list when I have it
>> solved.
>>
>> It's been a bit of a challenge to make this run on Mac OS X, all kinds of
>> different preinstalled software points to that it 'should' work easily, but
>> time and time again I find myself fighting against what should be simple
>> config changes that have been harder to solve than I though it should be.
>
> It is useful to keep in mind that Apple acts strategically, even when it
> looks like they are just being sloppy. MacOS X *Server* is a premium-priced
> product and has very few truly secret differences from the standard version
> of MacOS X that comes with a personal Mac, it is mostly a matter of
> configuration; the desktop version of the system is aggressively configured
> towards use as a personal computer that is almost exclusively used through
> the GUI by one person at a time. The Postfix config is an example of this,
> and if you want Postfix on a Mac to behave like a normal server instance of
> Postfix, you should either replace it altogether or at least fix the lack of
> wakeup settings in master.cf. That may also require you to watch out for
> Apple regressing the change in future updates, but it won't break anything
> that already works.
>
>> At least I have some much more focused searches to make about the postfix
>> config.  I will try changing RT's $MailCommand and $SendmailArguments first
>> and see if that makes the difference.
>
> Well, despite my digression on that option I think that is a second-best
> approach. It is something one might try if one does not have administrative
> control of the mail subsystem or has some need to keep the no-wakeup model.
> The 'sendmailpipe' option for $MailCommand is a much more efficient
> approach, and I wouldn't suggest switching to 'sendmail' on a high-volume RT
> machine. I'm not even sure that change will solve the queue delay problem
> completely. My hypothesis is that it will avoid the problem by serializing
> the queueing of messages for multiple recipients so that the Postfix
> 'pickup' process can't win a parallel race with a 'sendmail -oi -t' process
> that has to parse multiple recipients out of a Bcc header.

Sure enough, it was the postfix configuration.  Thanks for suggesting it
Bill - I just put default Postfix (not Apple) times for wakeup on pickup,
qmgr and flush in the master.cf, Apple sets them to "-".  I had already
enabled pickup, which had things partially working, but missed qmgr and
flush.

Thanks for the assist!  I now happily have RT 3.8.1 running on Mac OS X 10.4
client.

In all reality, most services needed to make it all happen were in place,
but needed to be activated and slightly reconfigured.  None of it was too
difficult, but none of it was exactly 'out of the box' either...

-Derek