[rt-users] Using RT in a large organization (thousands of users)

Peter Dole petedole at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 04:16:27 EDT 2009

Hi,
In the BestPractical web site, RT is described as "RT is a ticketing system
for small- to medium-sized organizations".

I'm working on a helpdesk ticketing / workflow solution for a large
organization - thousands of users, some of them are technical, most of them
are your average PC user (not IT people).

Using a home-grown system today, which needs to die (not scaleable, horrible
usability, etc).

There will be a team of people handling the tickets, dispatching engineering
change requests, etc.

My questions are:
1. What are the main limitations of RT (features / functionality) that make
it unfit for large organizations? (don't want to hit a brick wall in a few
weeks).

2. Can some people share their experience in large organizations of this
scale? (what worked, was there custom development required, etc).

3. Am I better off looking at a commercial system like Remedy / Peregrine
(for our organization size), due to potential cost of custom development
integrating RT?

Thanks,
Pete Dole