[rt-users] Further iCal/RSS experimenting/problems & some success

John Arends jarends at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 24 12:21:27 EDT 2009

A while back I posted that I could only get iCalendar/RSS feeds to work
with SunBird and FireFox respectively. I could not get either to work
with the Mac platform (iCal/Safari) or the Microsoft platform (Outlook
2007).

As a test, I tried using HTTP authentication with Apache instead of RT's
internal authentication. When using HTTP auth, the iCalendar and RSS
feeds work with iCal and Safari. It looks like those two applications
wanted to prompt for credentials and were able to figure out how to do
it when using HTTP auth.

I'm still having no luck getting Outlook to subscribe to Internet
Calendars or RSS feeds, even with HTTP auth. Has anyone had luck with
this? Is Outlook so weird that nothing can be done? Since we're a heavy
Exchange shop, I'd like to see if I can get this working with Outlook.
This would really help push our RT adoption further.

Any thoughts from those who understand how this works better than me?
For those with Safari/iCal, HTTP auth is your friend.