[rt-users] Using RT in a large organization (thousands of users)

Jerrad Pierce jpierce at cambridgeenergyalliance.org
Tue Mar 24 13:23:15 EDT 2009

> At the time, I would have blanched if you'd said you wanted to deploy
> RT somewhere handling 1000 tickets a day.  These days, I know of
> organizations pushing 10,000 tickets through RT on a slow day, bursting
> to over 20,000 when things get busy.
>
>>    3. Am I better off looking at a commercial system like Remedy / Peregrine
>>    (for our organization size), due to potential cost of custom development
>>    integrating RT?

We're a relatively small org, but have done a fair bit of customization to RT
since we're using it as a CRM. Out of the box RT covered all of the basics,
and the wiki + extensions didn't hurt. We've put in about 100 man hours to
do some serious customizations since (many now public) since we rolled
out RT 8 months ago. I don't expect that would be much less with anything
else; users don't want to learn anything anyhow, so you've always got to try
to warp things to their whims ;-) Except that in those cases half the time
you'd discover what you wanted to do couldn't be done, whereas in RT you
start to get a better grasp of how everything's glued together. Also, if you
can make use of the built-in self-service interface, rather than
rolling your own,
that should make things much easier to adopt.

Just a few moments rambling thoughts on the matter,

Cheers!
--
Cambridge Energy Alliance: Save money. Save the planet.