[rt-users] How to modify the ticket # format?

Ken Crocker kfcrocker at lbl.gov
Mon May 11 16:14:43 EDT 2009

Tom,

    Why do you need a date prefixed to the Ticket ID? In my 40 years in
this business from Manufacturing (MRP - Order processing, Capacity
Planning, etc.)) to Retail to Banking industries I have always seen an
ID Field defined as "non-intelligent". That way, the ID has one function
only, to identify the record, not to define when (that's what dates are
for). To put intelligence or some other meaning into a field that is
designed for a singular purpose is pretty much considered a very
outdated practice (for last 25 years) in DataBase design (ie. each field
is used strictly for a single purpose and it's name indicates such
function). Are you sure you want to design the Ticket ID this way?

Kenn
LBNL