[rt-users] Scripted modifications to RT's Database or LDAP Group Synchronization?

Johnathan Bell johnathan.bell at baker.edu
Fri May 15 14:56:34 EDT 2009

Not sure if this should go into RT-Users or RT-Devel, so I thought I'd
start here first. Please let me know if this should go to the other list.

I'm trying to find or create some way for LDAP group memberships to
appear in Request Tracker. Digging through the wiki and the
gossamer-threads site, the only thing I can find that looks like it will
do what I want is the rtimportldap.pl script, and it's woefully out of
date by all appearances. Furthermore, this was written more with Active
Directory in mind. We are using Samba and a homegrown LDAP solution.

To that end, I'm trying to write a utility in Python to sync various
LDAP groups with their respective groups on RT. I know that RT is
written in perl, but I am much more familiar with Python and was hoping
I can continue using it. I have a utility that mostly works, but I've
hit a snag. I need to know how RT defines a user as "Privileged" in the
database. It appears that there's a special group that there has to be
an entry in GroupMembers for membership in the unnamed group of type
"Privileged". Modifying this entry (and making sure that users aren't
part of the "Unprivileged" group) seems to give them everything that
makes a Privileged user special, except that they don't show up in the
Privileged Users list in Configuration -> Users... Are there some
database entries that I missed? I can't seem to see anything obvious.

Thanks.

--
Johnathan Bell
Internet System Administrator, Baker College