[rt-users] Scripted modifications to RT's Database or LDAP Group Synchronization?

Johnathan Bell johnathan.bell at baker.edu
Sat May 16 08:11:09 EDT 2009

Kevin Falcone wrote:
> On May 15, 2009, at 2:56 PM, Johnathan Bell wrote:
>

>> Not sure if this should go into RT-Users or RT-Devel, so I thought I'd
>> start here first. Please let me know if this should go to the other
>> list.
>>
>> I'm trying to find or create some way for LDAP group memberships to
>> appear in Request Tracker. Digging through the wiki and the
>> gossamer-threads site, the only thing I can find that looks like it
>> will
>> do what I want is the rtimportldap.pl script, and it's woefully out of
>> date by all appearances. Furthermore, this was written more with
>> Active
>> Directory in mind. We are using Samba and a homegrown LDAP solution.
>>

> You're probably better off extending or working from
> http://search.cpan.org/~falcone/RT-Extension-LDAPImport-0.04/
> which is decidedly more recent, but doesn't support LDAP groups
> because the client who sponsored it didn't want them.
>

>> To that end, I'm trying to write a utility in Python to sync various
>> LDAP groups with their respective groups on RT. I know that RT is
>> written in perl, but I am much more familiar with Python and was
>> hoping
>> I can continue using it. I have a utility that mostly works, but I've
>> hit a snag. I need to know how RT defines a user as "Privileged" in
>> the
>> database. It appears that there's a special group that there has to be
>> an entry in GroupMembers for membership in the unnamed group of type
>> "Privileged". Modifying this entry (and making sure that users aren't
>> part of the "Unprivileged" group) seems to give them everything that
>> makes a Privileged user special, except that they don't show up in the
>> Privileged Users list in Configuration -> Users... Are there some
>> database entries that I missed? I can't seem to see anything obvious.
>>

> You really want to use one of the APIs, either the perl or REST one,
> rather than trying to munge the DB directly.
>
> -kevin

Ah, I was afraid that would be the answer. I suppose using the API is
more future-ready anyway. Thanks for the clear and concise answer. It
looks like the Perl API is documented in the RT::OnlineDocs extension,
is this the best way to access it? I also couldn't find any
documentation for the REST API on the wiki, where would I find docs for
this?

Thanks.

--
Johnathan Bell
Internet System Administrator, Baker College